Friday 3 April 2015

My X1000 no longer works

Sad to say today I lost my X1000 trying to get a Radeon R9 270X working on it with the new Warp3D and Radeon HD drivers.


To save typing I covered my issues on the Hyperion support forum here:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2960#p33082

After updating the CFE bios (shown in the photo above) the X1000 is now totally bricked. I followed the instructions from A-eon to  flash the CFE to the letter (I have done it before) but the rom signature didn't match - I tried redoing the process 10 times with the same result. Then the power dropped out.

I then set the rescue jumper for CFE, but it doesn't let me boot the X1000 into backup CFE to fix the normal mode CFE for some reason. The system is now completely non-functional.

I feel completely stupid for trying steps I knew I didn't need to do - the CFE was the latest version anyway in my opinion, but was suggested that the CFE might have been bug fixed to fix a problem preventing the R9 270x from working under AmigaOS4.1 FE.

Can't begin to express my unhappiness and frustration with the last 24 hours.

Thanks to the good folks in IRC and Hans for their suggestions and input.

I know plenty of people have got their setups working well with the new drivers and cards too - I think I have just been very unlucky here.

Assuming it can be fixed by A-eon/AmigaKit it means sending it to the UK at my expense to be repaired at unknown cost and probably won't see it again for months. My motivation is very low right now.

So very sad. Some time away is needed methinks.


10 comments:

  1. You should be able to reflash the chip in place using a clip and an interface like the bus pirate.
    Not so easy but doable.
    The last way is to remove the chip (desolder it if it is soldered) and send it to someone who can reflash it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this is fixed for you soon Epsilon. Don't worry about it - always remember that many good things happen from adversity. It might end up being a minor issue that won't require a technician to investigate in the UK!

    Make sure you enjoy your Easter break! You do also have a number of other great Amiga systems you can play around with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to read about your X1000 problems. I've greatly enjoyed reading the blog posts describing your voyage of discovery during the past few months. I hope a solution can be found that doesn't require expensive international shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are back with us soon! Your blog has been a great inspiration to all us X1000 owners so don't give up. Hopefully AmigaKit can work something out so that you can have a quick turn around. Should just be a case of shipping the motherboard away and getting it back re-flashed. A-Eon may then be able to learn why the fall back flash didn't work.Some good can come out of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about this. I actually had a CFE problem l;last year I think it was where I thought I had bricked my X1000. IIIRC I was testing VGA cards and went back to rescue firmware to test something and when I tried to go back to standard firmware it wouldn't work anymore. I swapped the jumper around a few times and somehow I got it back. I don't know what was going on. So at this point I suggest you remove all VGA cards and bring the machine setup to a minimum then hook up a serial cable to a terminal! Remove all power, wait some time for it to clear, set to rescue, and power on again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man. As an X1000 user here in Israel I'm afraid to try new stuff so you are the one running before the camp for the rest of us. Was heartbroken to find out about your situation. I'm still hoping you'll get everything sorted out as a minor mishap. You test so many features, maybe you can look at this as the ultimate test which afterwards you'll be able to provide us users with even more understandings of this machine. Don't despair mate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mate.... you will get there... i love my x1000 but will not yet install FE as i am happy with os 4.1 update 6.Thanks for try it and i hope you get it working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gutted... keep trying..you are the man of all things x1000

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah just use a buspirate as the first poster mentioned, from your display output it would seem your flash uses spi which the buspirate suppoerts, just find out the pinout and away you go. Take a backup first tho in case you need to merge the first section of flash with a bios update.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.